Friday, February 02, 2007

May the Force be With You

Everybody all together now... "and also with you"... :)

Well, it's been a while since I sat down and watched my three favourite movies - actually, I think that's what I did for my 24th birthday, so it's been a few years. My dad just moved to a new place, and wanted to buy a new tv for it, a 52-inch, so he gave us his 42-inch and the speakers and such to go with it. So in honour of this momentous occasion I've decided to treat myself to a marathon viewing of the original trilogy - hooray! Trevor rolled his eyes, but a few of my friends are joining me in my madness.

Did you know that there's a new Dark Lord of the Sith? Han and Leia's son Jacen is all grown up, and thinks that the best way to rid the galaxy of evil is to fight it on it's own playing field. A noble goal, but we all know that the dark side doesn't work like that. To vote on a name for this new Darth, check out www.darthwho.com. I voted for Darth Praxis - knowing Jacen's desire to use the dark side to bring light, and Praxis made me think of the Latin word "pax", which means peace - it seemed like a logical choice! We shall see what the other fans think...

Check this out... http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/01/12/look_sir_droids.html

If there's a normal, unpretentious home theater projector out there in the universe, this is the projector it's farthest from. Star Wars fans will be knocking each other over to get to Nikko's R2-D2 DVD projector, which shoots video out of its eye onto a separate screen (it would have been perfect if it used the hologram-projector port, though). The resolution is only 800 x 600 pixels (south of high-def), but speakers are built in, and so is a DVD player as well as an iPod dock. And it wouldn't be R2 if he didn't move — you can make him follow you anywhere.
Say, have we mentioned the remote control? A replica of the Millenium Falcon — it's a riot in its own right. The controls pop out of the engines… too sweet. For that extra Jedi atmosphere, be sure to pick up a Darth Vader popcorn machine.
http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2006/02/02/snacking_turns.htm
The R2-D2 projector is due in stores as early as the spring for a little more than 2 Gs.
— Peter Pachal


So much fun! And there's a new book out by Timothy Zahn, who wrote the first Star Wars novels ever, and it's set early in the days of the Rebellion - with the universe expanding so fast due to the prequels and the New Jedi Order series about Han and Leia's and Luke and Mara's kids, it's nice to get back to the original characters. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

By the way, I'm in the market for a lightsaber - for someone reason that's not something that people seem to think about when they think about what to get me for Christmas, but I'd love to have one to add to my two shelves of books and other bits of random Star Wars paraphernalia.

So there's a look inside my Star Wars fetish for you - I'm just a sci fi geek at heart! :)

No comments: