Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Fever

A few days ago I was walking home from work, and the sun was shining and the snow was melting and I could hear water running, and it took me right back to spring in NS when I was a kid. Making maple syrup, playing in the creek, hunting for mayflowers, getting cold, wet and muddy and loving it. When spring comes, I always feel like going and splashing in the creek. Sadly, spring comes so fast in Calgary it happens overnight, and there are no creeks in our condo development!

I follow a few blogs about life in the country, and they definitely don't help with the spring fever thing...I'm not a city girl, and reading blogs sure doesn't help. Maybe I should have given up blogs for Lent. :P

I re-read one of my favourite books last month - one that I now realize shaped my childhood opinion of what the season of spring should look like, an opinion that clearly lingers. It's a story of a poor little rich girl from London, and her mother sends her to live with family friends in the English countryside while she goes abroad, and the bulk of the story is set in the spring. It's beautifully described, and I can picture it so vividly it's almost like being there. I'd give just about anything to experience a 'proper' spring for real though! Maybe one of these years...

No comments: