Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Christmas Blessing

Don't forget that Christmas is just starting - twelve days, beginning now! And on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...tickets to the next Calgary Comic Expo. :)

This is my current favourite video. It's from a youth retreat in the States, and it made me think of something I've never really thought of before in my 31 years of going to church on Christmas and singing this carol.



 
When we do stop to remember that 'Jesus is the reason for the season', we generally think of a cute little baby in a manger, with a Renaissance-esque halo and shiny angels. At this time of year, I tend to forget that He came for a grittier, weightier, and eternal purpose, and this video vividly reminded me that: "Nails, spear shall pierce Him through / the cross be born for me, for you", and that was the whole point of His coming in the first place - to break the 'deep magic from the dawn of time' that demands a penalty for sin. That innocent baby in the manger came to earth, out of love, to suffer and die; to bridge the gap that Adam and Eve's sin wrought between humans and our creator. The vastness and enormity and sheer cosmic scope are very hard to wrap my tiny human brain around. C. S. Lewis, in the Chronicles of Narnia, describes this sacrifice on a level that I find a bit easier to begin to understand.
 



 If you haven't read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, I highly recommend going and reading it RIGHT NOW. :)
 
 
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."
(Romans 15:13)
 
"...so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
(Ephesians 3:17-21)

 
May your Christmas be full of joy and love, and may your new year be blessed with good things! And if you are seeking, may you find. 

No comments: